Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

8.07.2012

Childen's Handmade Rocking Chair

Today I'm so thrilled to share with you one of my Dad's latest projects (of many).  He is recently retired and is thinking of spending some of his newly acquired time making handmade furniture to sell.  If you have a moment to offer some feedback on this project (for ex. would you buy it, how much would you pay for it, do you like the design, etc.) he would be very grateful.  
Thanks so much!

In my last post I showed you a picture of an apple tree that was 'the before'.  This is the amazing 'after'!


My Dad needed to prune the apple tree and instead of throwing away the branches, he recycled them into a beautiful rocking chair that his grandchildren will enjoy for years.  If you look closely you can see where one of the cuts was made.

  
I thought it would be fun to sew a reversible cushion for the rocking chair (with fabric that would work for both boys and girls) although my kids told me after it was done that the rocker is so comfy it really didn't need one.


This side has a strip of green fabric sewn into the seam in front of the piping to add some contrast.  The green fabric and ribbon was left over from last years Winter mantel.  All of the fabric was purchased at JoAnn Fabrics.




Rocking Chair Features

*Made with 100% recycled wood:
Apple Wood (pruned apple tree branches)
with  
Oak Rockers (wood from a remodeled church)
and a
Shaped Pine Seat (from a neighbors cut tree)

*Curved Back

*Mortise and tenon joints

*Dowel fasteners

*All Wood (no nails or screws)

*Butternut Stain (Sikkens brand)

*Measures 30" tall, 17" wide, seat is 13" square









It's hard to believe that this chair was once part of an apple tree in my parents orchard.  A tree that was planted when I was a child.  My kids have loved rocking in this chair and it means so much that their Grandpa made it for them.  


Thanks for taking a moment to look at my dad's chair!

Today's Fabulous Find...
with Recycled Wood


Linking to:  Not Just a Housewife   Thrifty Decor Chick   Lil Luna
Pin It!

16 comments:

Claire @ a little something in the meantime . . . said...

What a thoughtful way to repurposes branches from a tree that is special to your whole family. Your Dad is very talented!

ibshell said...

How beautiful!! I LOVE that it was made from the branches of your own family tree and gifted to his grandchildren. It is worth far more than I believe anyone would necessarily spend on it, but I would say at least upwords of $100, $98 to keep it under ;) I think an adult one would be amazing. What a true gift your father has!

Jess Cox said...

What a beautiful treasure for your little ones!

Karyn said...

It's beautiful! Your dad is so so talented!!! I love it plain (without the cushions - though you did a beautiful job on them). I'd expect to pay around $100 for something like this. $150-$199 if it was adult size.

Liz said...

Wow, that's really a great rocking chair!! LOVE it! Liz

BeckyB.inTN said...

Seeing that beautifully made rocking chair that was made to fit a child really pulled at my heart strings when I saw it. What a treasured heirloom for your family!

Maureen Hayes said...

Your dad is amazingly talented with woodcrafting! This is a spectacular piece of furniture and made so well, the tongue and groove, you never see that anymore, and it is the sign of true craftsmanship! He could definitely sell these, easily for $100 because this is MUCH nicer than most of the rockers I have seen out there. If he made an adult sized one he could charge even more! Tell him I said he should pursue this, he has amazing talent! How lucky you and the children are to have such a lovely piece madeby your dad/grandad.

tinab158 said...

This chair is amazing! I would consider buying it for a baby shower gift or a first birthday gift for a special friend's child or grandchild. I agree with the other comments....$100 would be a good price point. I have been pricing small children chairs (for making raised dog food dishes)...and basic un-finished, un-assembled, no frills chairs are about $50 each and they are nothing compaired to this rocker. LOVE IT!

Hello said...

Beautiful! I also agree with the other comments $100 would not be to much for this masterpiece.

Vickie said...

What a wonderful keepsake for your children. Your dad is very talented and should really continue creating such great pieces. In the right area he could name is price and get it. It's unique and beautiful and one of a kind.

Kathy Bradshaw said...

The rocker is absolutely a heirloom for any family. I can see this stuffed with baby items for a new mom! Stopping by from the blog hop. New follower your welcome to visit anytime. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com

suz said...

wonderful and such a lovely reminder. Here in NH we have a juried art group (New Hampshire Craftsmen), you might want to see if there is anything like that in your area. They could give your Dad a lot of information about pricing and so forth.

farmhouse-story said...

what a beautiful rocker! love that he used the wood from his tree, janet! and your cushion is too cute! creativity runs deep in your family:)

Bellenza Wedding Bistro said...

What a precious (future) family heirloom! All recycled materials, plus the magic component, love!

KidSpace Stuff said...

This is indeed a "fabulous find"! Such a beautiful heirloom piece for your family and very marketable.

kathymack56 said...

Hi, If I had a young grand child I would definately purchase this rocker. I think the value goes up because your dad used recycled wood. I think a fair price would be atleast $50.00 if not a bit higher. After all, it also has a homemade cushion. I wish your dad all the best

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails