Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

7.16.2011

Decorative Aged Door: Before and After

Last month I was visiting my parents and was just about ready to leave to go home, when I set my eyes on this 'weathered beauty' in a pile of my Dad's scrap wood (he keeps a stash for my sisters and I for crafts, he's great!).

This armoire door was already old and 'naturally weathered', but not really the weathered look I was going for.  My Dad was happy to let me have it and I was happy to take it because I had a vision in my mind of what I could do with this FREE door.


Pictures of the Process

I love the challenge of using items that I already have around my house, mostly leftovers from other projects, to make things as in-expensively as I can.  So what I have on hand influences the direction that I take on my projects.  Because I was able to use several items that I already had, I managed to turn this naturally weathered door...


into this faux aged door, and only spent an additional $8!  Love that!!!


I put together this vinyl quote three years ago (for a Ladies craft day at my church) to fit on a 12 inch tile and paid someone to professionally cut it, she charged $4 for it.  Since it never actually made it onto a tile, I cut the phrases apart and then spread them out to fit the space.


The glass door knob with iron plate was 50% off at Hobby Lobby, I ended up paying $5 for it.  I think I got a pretty great deal! 


The hinges were originally black, so I spray painted them red and then distressed them to look like the door knob plate.  I bought them at The Home Depot and paid less than $3 for the pair.



Now for the burlap wreath.  I wanted something full, soft, and neutral so I came up with an updated version of a 'bubble' wreath that I made in the 90's.  I used burlap from my stash and then attached it to the door with three lengths of sheer black ribbon that I had on hand and some hot glue. 


I'll show you how I made it next week.  (Added: Click here for the tutorial.)  All you do is cut a square of burlap, fold it into a bubble and then pin it onto a foam wreath.  I haven't seen any of these around recently, so I told my sisters that I'm going to make a move to bring back the bubble wreath (ha,ha).  What do you think, are you ready for it? :)

So one more time, a look at the before and after.


I'm really enjoying my new 'door' and had a lot of fun fixing it up.  It still catches my eye, but in a much different way now. :)

Today's Fabulous Find...new purpose for an old door.



Parties I link to.  Click here to view the party buttons.


All Thingz Related    Be Different Act Normal    Beyond The Picket Fence    Blue Cricket Design    Chic on a Shoestring Creation Corner
Designer Gardens    Dittle Dattle    Domestically Speaking    Embellishing Life Everyday    Finding Fabulous    Fingerprints On The Fridge
Funky Junk Interiors    House of Hepworths    I Heart Naptime    Just A Girl    Keeping It Simple
Serenity Now    Seven Thirty-Three    Sew Can Do    Sew Much Ado    Shanty 2 Chic    Skip To My Lou
Someday Crafts    Somewhat Simple    Sugar Bee Crafts    Tator Tots and Jello    The Creative Crate    The DIY Showoff
The Girl Creative    The Shabby Chic Cottage    The Shabby Nest   Thrifty Decor Chick   Tip Junkie    Today's Creative Blog
Under The Table and Dreaming    Home is Where My Story Begins


Pin It!

50 comments:

Unknown said...

This turned out fabulous! My favorite part is that quote! Very touching!

Carri K said...

I love it! It turned out so good! I can.not wait for the burlap wreath tutorial! YAY!!! =)

Carri

Inspired By June said...

This turned out great! Can't wait for the wreath tutorial! Thanks, Janet!

Deanna said...

Love it!

Ashley C. said...

Wow I LOVE this and I LOVE the bubble wreath with burlap! Excited to see the tutorial so that I can have one too...and help you bring them back. :)

CatNCart Craft said...

Absoluely love it - and the bulap wreath - will wait for the tutorial
Judy

mrs. c said...

You are one talented lady! To "see"something from a scrap pile is amazing! I really like the red contrast color. I am so glad that we have HObby Lobby with their 50% off sales. I never, ever buy anything for full price, if I am patient it will go on sale soon. Thanks for sharing I can't wait to get the tutorial.

Maureen said...

That looks incredible! Amazing job on this. I found you via the I <3 Naptime Linky Party!
http://www.releasemecreate.blogspot.com

Aroura said...

That is so amazingly creative! It looks like something you would buy at a high end store for lots of money! I love it!!! And I can't wait for the tutorial on the wreath. I don't know what that looks like in other materials, but I LOVE it in burlap!

farmhouse-story said...

what a wonderful project, janet! you are so clever and creative to take these single items and make them into one awesome decor piece! love the wreath, too!

laxsupermom said...

So pretty! Love the painted door, and the saying is perfect, too. Thanks for sharing.

Shirley said...

Love this! Especially the added touch of the knob and hinges!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

I love this project-everything about it. The saying, the door! the POP of RED is to die for!
super job!
gail

Tausha said...

I LOVE this! I am espescially loving your wreath! I have a wall that has needed something..I just had not found the right thing. NOW, I have found it! Thanks so much for the inspiration! Happy, Happy weekend!

Denissa said...

I love it!! You did a great job! Can't wait for the wreath tutorial :)

Amanda M. said...

I am in love! Can't wait to see how you did the wreath... it's a must on my list =)

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

This is BEAUTIFUL and inspired me to become a new member!

Karen said...

It looks great Janet!! You did a fabulous job!! I love the wreath too. Awesome!!

The Stratton Family said...

Love your blog! It would be great if you came and linked some of your ideas to Lovely Little Snippets!
lovelylittlesnippets.blogspot.com

Sarah, Three Boys said...

It's lovely! I really like the red handle and hinges, great touch!

Carmella said...

very pretty and I love the quote! great job!

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

Wow this is so gorgeous! You did an amazing job!
Jo-Anna

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

This is beautiful!! Love it!

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

That is so adorable! What a creative way to use an old piece. I love it!

Life-n-Reflection said...

This is so beautiful!

Emily said...

I love everything about this project. The door turned out beautifully and red was the perfect color for your accents! And, I can't wait until you show how you made that wreath... it's adorable! Thanks for sharing. :)

Visiting from A2Z.

Becky said...

this is awesome! thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

The whole time I was thinking, that is AWESOME! Really, love it!

jess@balancing the dream said...

this is fantastic!!! I have been dying to make a piece of art out of an old antique door!! I am still on the hunt for one!! great project! Thanks for sharing!!

The Gibsters said...

I love this! Here is my dumb question. I see these kinds of doors done but I have never figured out a good way to display them. Where are you going to put this now that it is all finished? I have wanted to do something like this, but never have figured out a good place or way to display it. :) Thanks!

Janet said...

In Reply to the Gibsters: That's a great question! The door measures 18" x 36" and is more the size of a window than an actual full-size door so I decided to hang it on a short wall in my living room. There's only 6" of wall space on each side of the door, so it's a perfect fit. I'll show how I hung it (so it would be safe with young children around) in an up-coming post. Sorry I don't have more ideas for you, hope this helped some. :)

Heather said...

Looks great! Super tutorial!;)

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

ONE WORD FOR YOU: STICKER!

I love it!

Pamela said...

Super cute!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

The door is just as cool as the wreath! I had to share this one on FJI Facebook too. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150314658511141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Beautifully done! I love the distressing and the red details. I'm putting you in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for linking up.

Michelle said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have an old glass door too. I Mod Podged some garden pictures on the glass, put wooden letters on the edge that say "Dreams Do Come True" ,old hooks are on the other side...it hangs horizontally in our bathroom holding our towels. YOU make me want to take it down and have a little remake :) I have held those door knobs in my hand at Hobby Lobby---loved how pretty they are. I love how you made the hinges to match! AND the wreath...yeah, I got me a BIG bunch of red burlap, guess I know what gets added to my to do list!

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Love what you did with it

Art Is Beauty said...

Is it wrong that getting some piece of junk for free, can make you squeal with delight..I just got a whole stash of free stuff this week and my mind is racing..:) love the door and the wreath...I am your newest follower...stop by and say Hi..:)
www.arttisbeauty.blogspot.com

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great job! I love the red accents and the vinyl quote. What a neat piece. Your creativity is amazing!

Have a great weekend.
Pam

abeachcottage said...

Love what you did to it and the quote is great too!

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

You just GOT a STICKER from me ;)

I am featuring your project tomorrow on my blog...thank you SO much for sharing it!

Taylor Chase Graham said...

I love this so much! Question: Did you paint the back of the glass white? It looks like it, but I'm not sure.
Thanks so much!
Alicia

Janet said...

To Alica: Thankyou!

I think the glare from the light makes it look white. I didn't paint the glass at all, what you see is the color of my wall showing through. FYI--My wall color is Kilim Beige from Sherwin Williams, I really love it. :)

LaLa said...

What a terrific project. I would love to try this.

Kelly Oribine said...

I love this! What a great idea! All the details come together so perfectly :)

Audrey said...

hi Janet ... love this window/door and have to make one. Thanks for sharing such a neat idea. Love your blog and have to make time to take a good look at all your interesting projects.
Audrey Z. at Timeless Treasures.
http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com

Toqua's Crafts said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this door!!!

Unknown said...

I have a question! Did you use that as a decoration piece or you used it again as a door? Many people are adding wreaths to their door to give it more life and character to the usual ordinary door at home. Some even used burlap, but I saw a wreath made out of lemons, which was a pretty cool idea! Every time someone's at the door, they can have a fresh and summer-like ambiance.

Vernie Herr

Janet said...

To Vernie: I'm still using it as a decorative piece and still love it. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails