Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

12.04.2012

DIY Printable Paint Stick Ornaments: Names and Attributes of Christ

When I was choosing a name for this blog there were a lot of possibilities, but the name that seemed to fit the best was Today's Fabulous Finds--Tomorrow's Treasures.  I chose this name because I love the challenge of finding items that are ordinary, in-expensive (like paint sticks), or simply worn-out, and turning them into little 'treasures' for my home.  There is a satisfaction (and a happiness too) that comes when you use your creativity to make something that is uniquely your own!  That said, my greatest treasures in life will always be Jesus Christ and His gospel and my family.



I thought it would be nice to make something special with an emphasis on Christ for this Christmas season so I decided to make a new set of Paint Stick Ornaments for my Christmas tree.  This set includes 30 Names of Christ (pictured above) and 14 Christlike Attributes.  I also purchased over a dozen different 3"x 4" pictures of Christ to frame and hang on the tree alongside them.


The ornaments are really pretty simple to make and cost very little money.  They're made by photo copying black and white templates onto scrapbook paper and then Mod Podging them onto a 4" piece of a 5 gallon paint stick.  You can make four paint stick ornaments and a snowman ornament from just one 5 gallon paint stick.



The templates can be used in other ways as well:
  • Leave the wires off, attach magnets to the back, and use them for refrigerator magnets like the Teacher magnets that my sister designed.  
  • Make the ornaments/magnets into an inexpensive Christmas gift by tying three (Faith, Hope, and Charity for ex.) or four of them together with a pretty ribbon.
  • Tie an ornament onto a gift to use as an embellishment.

(My thanks to Amber M. for suggesting the words for the Christlike Attributes.)
  • When you copy the templates, decrease the size with the copier settings to use them for smaller magnets.  Use the width of the paint stick instead of the length.  (I haven't tried this, but I think it would work.)
  • Enlarge them with a copy machine then copy the names onto scrapbook paper and Mod Podge them onto a 2x4 piece of wood.  Add wire photo holders to the top to hold pictures of Christ and/or your family.


  • My plan is to put the ornaments in a basket and then each time a family member does an act of service for someone else they can choose an ornament to hang on the Christmas tree.  If you'd like to be more specific for smaller children you could even tape a slip of paper to the back of the ornament with the service already written on it.
  • Use them as an advent calendar by adding a scripture, storybook title, or a Christ-Centered Christmas activity to the back of an ornament for each day leading up to Christmas.  You could make the countdown as long or as short as you like.  Hang one ornament on the tree each day.


  • I chose not to add any Christmas clip-art to the names of Christ so that they can be used year round for various projects at home or at church, as well as for Easter. 
  • Make them as small signs (without the hanger wire) and group several of them together with a frame around them to hang on the wall.  This could be done without Mod Podging them onto the wood paint sticks, just copy them onto your favorite scrapbook paper and place the papers closely together under the glass in the frame in a patchwork pattern.

If you have any other ideas on how the templates could be used,
 please, please share them in the comment section!


Template Example

This is a low resolution image.
Do not use this, you will be disappointed.

 These Printable Templates are to be used 
FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY 
to use in your own home, church, or to give as a gift.

They cannot be used on any items for sale or profit, 
this includes fundraisers, sorry no exceptions.
  • Print the templates with your home printer onto white printer paper, using the normal or high quality setting.
  • Copy the template onto scrapbook paper using a copy machine.  Choose the paper you like, but keep in mind that lighter to medium toned prints that aren't busy work best. The red paper pictured below was too dark.  
 This is an important step.  If you print it on an ink jet printer and don't use a copy machine to copy it to the scrapbook paper, your ink will run and blur when you Mod Podge the paper on.  ( Exception:  If you have a laser jet printer you can skip this step and print it directly onto the scrapbook paper, I've been told that the ink won't run.)

Click here for the full tutorial.


Tips:
  • Adjust the copier to the darkest copy setting for nice dark letters and when copying on scrapbook paper with a texture.  
  • Use a Q-tip to apply distress ink around the edge of the paper.

I'm so happy to finally be sharing these with you, it took me awhile to get them done!  I hope that I've left you enough time with your busy holiday schedules to make them for your family, friends, or for your neighbors this year if you'd like, and that possibly they might even become one or your family's 'little treasures'.


"Because He came to earth, we have a perfect example to follow.  As we strive to become more like Him, we will have joy and happiness in our lives and peace each day of the year.  It is His example which, if followed, stirs within us more kindness and love, more respect and concern for others.

-Thomas S. Monson

Today's Fabulous Find...Names of Christ and Christlike Attributes Handmade Ornaments



You might also be interested in the first set that was posted a couple of years ago...



Pin It!

83 comments:

Bandon, Oregon said...

Janet, To prevent the smearing from the ink jet printing, you just need a light spray of the Krylon Workable Fixatif. You can find this anywhere... Walmart, Craft stores, etc. I have used it for many years without any problems. Works great when working with decal paper also to prevent the smudging...

Your Projects are Wonderful. Thank You for Sharing. God Bless.

Faith

Janet said...

Thankyou Faith, and thanks for the tip, I'll have to give this brand a try! I've tried two other brands of clear sealers which worked for some of the words, but the words with thick black lines still ran and blurred.

Lesley said...

I made a lot of your paint stick ornaments this year for craft shows and they sold very well. I added a little coloured bell before twisting the one piece of wire and it added some nice colour and interest. Thank you for designing some new sheets and sharing with your readers.
Lesley ♥

farmhouse-story said...

bless your heart, janet! thanks for sharing these:)

Stephenie said...

Thank you for these wonderful tags!

A Real Pilgrimage said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
A Real Pilgrimage said...

Hi Janet!

I just wanted to tell you that I loved your printables!!

I have a blog in Spanish (http://familiacatolica-org.blogspot.com/) and I was wondering if you would be interested in doing a Spanish version.

I would be more than happy to translate all the names for you. Let me know!

Mariel said...

What a great post! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

Janet said...

To Xhonane Olivas: Thank you! A Spanish version would be wonderful! I don't know if I'd be able to get them done for this Christmas, but I could make them in time for Easter or for next December. If you'd like to e-mail me the translations I'll see what I can do. :)

A Real Pilgrimage said...

Great Janet! I will send you the translation as soon as I can. Easter sounds good. Thanks and God bless!

Lorraine said...

These are lovely! Thank you so much.

Donna said...

These are wonderful!

Janet said...

Thank you!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

very very pretty janet...love the idea of letting the littles decorate the tree with a good deed! :)
gail

Mindi@MyLove2Create said...

These are so great! Thanks so much for the free prantables! Pinned!

Irene said...

These are beautiful! Thank you for sharing the printable and instructions.

Irene

Toni ~ Mom to 8 heavenly Angels and 1 earthly Angel. said...

Thank you, I have been looking for something for my family and for YW's and this is perfect. You are amazing..

Karee said...

Thank you so much for sharing this meaningful Christmas craft. I know that He IS each of these phrases for you and for me. His redeeming grace and love is there for us whether we think we deserve it or not. He loves us unconditionally. He wants us to believe His message. Thank you, again. God Bless You for sharing your talents in uplifting ways.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these! Thanks so much for sharing.
If you'd like to see my own blog post about 24 advent gifts that each match up with a name of Christ and have a printable scripture to match, go here: http://fhelessons.wordpress.com/2013/07/30/names-of-christ-advent-gifts/

Rachele Funk said...

This is just awesome! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Janet said...

I'm happy to share them, thank you for your comments! :)

The Nielsens said...

Love, love, love it!

I imagine a small, tabletop tree with the words from Isaiah 9:6. Can you add those to your template?

Love your fonts!

Janet said...

To The Nielsens: Thanks so much! I just read through the scripture, did you have in mind to also use the names "The Mighty God" and "The Everlasting Father?

Unknown said...

I am in charge of decorating our church this year, and was so excited to find your blog!! I can't wait to try several applications using your templates. Thank you for your heart, and all the work you put into making Christ the center of Christmas.

Unknown said...

I am in charge of decorating our church this year, and was so excited to find your blog!! I can't wait to try several applications using your templates. Thank you for your heart, and all the work you put into making Christ the center of Christmas.

Janet said...

To Leslie: Thank you for your sweet comment, have fun with your decorating! :)

Rebecca said...

I just hosted a ladies craft night last night and we made these. Thank you so much, they are awesome! Even my husband was really excited about them and asked me to make some artwork using them too. I just need to figure out the details!

Janet said...

You're welcome Rebecca. :) I'd love to see a picture of your artwork when you're done!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for the ideas. I made my first 6 today and it was great fun. These will be gifts for family, friends and the 24 Sunday School teachers that help me guide many your minds. Have a very blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Janet said...

To Linda: I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas as well! Thanks so much for your comment. :)

Unknown said...

I am having a hard time getting it to print. I can get it to come up, but when I go to print it it says its not available. Is there anyway you can email it to me. jamestwilliams33@msn.com
thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've just run across these, both sets, and am so happy! I wish I'd had them sooner, but now I have a year to make them for next year. I will give them to friends on the cookie plates I plan to give. Thank you so much for making me look so good!

Janet said...

To Desertskyquilts: You're welcome, thanks for your comment! :)

Valerie said...

Janet, Could I use these for decor at our annual Community Creche Festival? Technically that is not home or gift use, so I wanted to ask. It is held at our LDS church each year and of course we do not charge for this event.

Janet said...

Valerie, that would be great if you'd like to use them, thanks for checking with me. :) I made the first set of templates up to use for a Relief Society Super Saturday craft and am always happy to hear when others are able to use them for church and community activities. Have fun!

Shauna Uri said...

I am wondering if you could post then names of Christ in Spanish or send them to me? my email is shaunauri@gmail.com
Thank you so much! My elder will be excited!

Janet said...

Hi Shauna, I'm sorry, I don't have the names of Christ done in a Spanish version. :( If it didn't take me so long to make them, I would. I hope you'll be able to find something else that will work. :)

Unknown said...

I love these! I see you only made these for personal use. I wanted to check and see if I could use these for a Relief Society Christmas activity? Thanks!

Janet said...

Thanks Necia, that would be great if you'd like to use them for your Relief Society activity. :) Have fun!

The Little's said...

Janet, I'm not super computer savvy, but I wanted to use your template to create my own. We want to give out an ornament to each family in our ward for attending the Christmas Party. Is there a program that I can download the template to and edit it from there?? I tried using DocHub, but it is really versatile as far as fun fonts and inserting a graphic. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing these and helping us to keep Christ in Christmas!

Janet said...

You're welcome Shirley! :)

Unknown said...

How can I download printable of Jesus names?

Unknown said...

Hello, my family loves the ornaments. I know our church family would love them as well. I would like to make them to add to the decorations at our church. Unfortunately, I cannot download the names of Jesus. Can you please repost the link that will allow me to do this? Thank you.

Janet said...

To Shirley and Mary: send me an e-mail so I have your e-mail address and I'll send you the file. :)

nomimama said...

Any chance you would make a set so I could purchase them from you? I love these so much but don't have the time or necessary materials to make them!

Janet said...

To nomimama: I'm sorry, I'm not able to make a set for you. Do you possibly have someone locally that you could hire to make them for you? I hope you are able to figure something out. :)

Corinne Beede said...

We did the names of Christ ornaments for our Fabulous Friday RS activity and they were a big hit! Now we wanted to make one for each person for our ward christmas party. But instead of these words, we are using "He is the Gift" from the new church video that came out. I've designed a bunch of variations of the phrase, using photoshop, but I'm not sure how to get them in the columns and include a grid for easy cutting. Any suggestions? Did you use Photoshop to design these?

Janet said...

Hi Corinne, thanks for your comment, I'm glad they were a hit! I love your idea for the new ornaments you're making too!

I made up the templates using Microsoft Publisher. I'm not familiar with Photoshop, but in Publisher I was able to draw the outside box and size it and then add the inside lines one at a time. I used the rulers on the side bar to line it all up to fit the size of the paint sticks. If you have any questions e-mail me and I'll see what I can do to help. :)

Corinne Beede said...

I did it! I figured out how to get the ruler sidebars and how to do a straight line, but it still wasn't working well for me- clearly I'm missing an important step! So instead of trying to add lines, I decided to alter your template. So I opened the file with your template and pretty much erased the words and left the grid so I could bring in my own words. Worked like a charm! So if anyone else runs into this problem, there's a solution... it may not be the best one but it sure was easier then what I was trying to do before :) Thanks for your help and your quick response last night!

Janet said...

Yay! I'm glad you figured out a way! Thanks for sharing it for others. :)

renee said...

Thank you!!!!!! I am in charge of decorating the church for Christmas this year and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!

Janet said...

You're welcome Renee, I'm happy you can use them!

Unknown said...

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing the Names of God and tutorial. I have enjoyed making them today. :) However, may I suggest adding
"I AM". I love that Name of God. :)
Have a blessed day!

Janet said...

You're welcome Tammy! :)

Steven & Carey Hord said...

Janet, Can you tell me what two fonts you used on pages 4 & 5? I want to add "The Mighty God" and "The Everlasting Father" to make a set based on Isaiah 9:6, I loved making these and sharing them with friends. Thank you SO much for sharing!!!

Janet said...

You're welcome Carey, I'm so glad you could use them. :) The fonts I used are SnellBT and Times New Roman. Merry Christmas!

Steven & Carey Hord said...

Thank you! Merry Christmas!!!

The Tepper Family said...

Hi! I found this while searching for Names of Christ ornaments and I love it! I am making a wreath, I will send a picture when I finish, but I am limited with space so I am trying to use different fonts, so I need to switch a few fonts with words (and I want to add Jesus). I have figured out some of your fonts but am spending WAY too much time working on this little detail, but I like yours so much! Could you either list the fonts you used in a comment or send me the template? Much appreciated! Thanks and have a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

Lynette said...

Greetings Janet :) I am wondering if you would be ok with us offering this free to the little gathering at my church, I would make them and gift them, with a notation that the tutorial is from your blog. It is however a fundraiser event for our adoption (a second child we hope to adopt from China), and so people will be making a gift donation of money to us (so they are not purchasing this item, but they may make a donation if they wish) There will be baked goods, other hand crafted items that people donate, and I thought I would enjoy making your craft item myself, and glorifying Jesus through it, as well. Let me know. Thanks! Love the idea!!

Miriam said...

I see your use guidelines:
The Printable Templates are to be used FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
to use in your own home or to give as a gift, no exceptions.

I would like to use your templates as a Christmas craft for our Activity Day girls. Does this fall within the use request? I'm thinking it's like a gift to these girls in our ward. I'm also thinking that we'll get the paint sticks prepped and to step 5 as a reasonable starting point for 8-11 year old girls.

Anonymous said...

The LINK was broken!!! :(
Can you email me a link please.

Janet said...

To Miriam: Sorry for the late response, yes, that would be great if you'd like to use them for an Activity Day craft, have fun! :)

Janet said...

To Unknown: I tested the link and it worked for me, the computer you are using may have restrictions placed on it. If you'd like the file please e-mail me.

long island grammie said...

I am planning on making these as our Christmas craft with the Ladies of my church. They are awesome. Are all the wooden pieces painted brown? I thought they might have been white but one place says chocolate brown. I like the spray paint idea.

Janet said...

Thank you Long Island Grammie! The majority of the ornaments were painted brown, but I did paint several of them an ivory color as well. Both colors would be great. :) Have fun!

Julie said...

Janet, I saw a request for these in Spanish....my son is serving in Mexico and I would love to send this in spanish if it is available!! Can you send me a link if you have it in spanish??

Janet said...

To Julie: I'm sorry, she didn't ever email the names to me in Spanish so I didn't make a template up for them. I wish I could offer to make them for you but I just don't think I'll have the time right now to do it. That said, if you want to e-mail me a list of the names in Spanish if some time does come available then I can see what I can do. :)

Julie said...

LOL Janet, if only I knew the words in Spanish! No worries! English is totally fine! I appreciate you sharing your talents with those of us who didn't get that kind! Thanks again!

Janet said...

Julie that's my problem too, I learned German in High School. :)

Anonymous said...

Janet,
I'm wondering if you would be willing to share the file so that I can upload it into my silhouette? I would like the option of vinyl. Thank you for sharing.

Janet said...

Hi Jill, I'm sorry but I will have to say no on sharing the original file, hope you understand. You might be able to get a clear enough image from the pdf file to use with the Silhouette if you use the snipping tool to save an image of the templates, upload them into the Silhouette program, and then trace around them. I hope it works for you. :)

Unknown said...

Do you offer these for sale to those of us that don't have a crafty bone in our body?

Janet said...

Hi Tawnya, I'm so sorry, I don't offer them for sale. I promise you though that even without one crafty bone you can make these! :)

onegreathome said...

I just wanted to say thank you for the beautiful ornaments for my tree! I love the focus on our Savior! Bless you!

Janet said...

To onegreathome: Thank you, I appreciate that. :) Have a wonderful Christmas!

Unknown said...

I would love to make these for my YW this year for Christmas. Every time I try to download the template of Names of Christ it takes me to myldsmail.net... The spanish and hebrew templates work great, but he English will not pull up. If you could email me the template I would really appreciate it. skrogers@gmail.com

Connie said...

THANK YOU!!! These are wonderful and was just what I needed. I needed an inexpensive gift to go along with our YW Christmas lesson. They turned out perfect thanks to you. Your willingness to share your talent is greatly appreciated.

Janet said...

Oh that's wonderful Connie! You're welcome, I hope your YW will enjoy them. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Janet, would you mind if I put a copy of your Christmas tree photo on our Isaiah study - its been handed out among some churches in Scotland. I can acknowledge it to you and refer to your blog page. Diana x

Unknown said...

Google keeps telling me to request access. We really love these and would love to make some. Can you please advise

Janet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janet said...

I'm sorry, there was a google docs update that has caused my links to stop working. I'm working on getting them changed. Please send a request and I can share them with you through the email. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails