Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

11.03.2010

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Apron

We often see cute little aprons for girls, but what about aprons for little boys?  My youngest loves to help me cook.  He gets such a pleased look on his face whenever he gets to stir or add things to the bowl.  This apron was made for my little guy, from a dish towel.  I appliqued the things on it that he loves the most...plane(s), train(s), and automobile(s)!


  • The child size dish towel apron directions can be found at Family Fun.com.  The pattern is simple, so even if you're a beginner sewer, this is something that you could make.  Note:  For a small toddler you may need to cut a large dish towel in half so it isn't too big.  Hold it up next to them to determine how much smaller to make it.
  • The appliques are applied on with fusible web.
  • For the patterns, I ran a search for black and white clip art to find the shapes I was looking for.  You can find the train, car and many other templates hereWhen you trace the templates on to the fusible web, be sure to trace them on backwards so when you turn them over, to fuse them on to the fabric, they will face the direction you want.

 
  • The buttons are from a dress of mine that I didn't wear anymore.  Tip:  Next time you need buttons, shop your closet.
  • The ribbon cost under $3 and the plaid woven dishtowel was on sale, so I paid less than $3.50 for it.  You can buy one at a dollar store too. 
  • All of the applique fabrics came from my tote of scrap fabrics.  (This tote is like a graveyard for fabric scraps, it's full of small pieces that I can't do a lot with, but come in handy for applique projects like this!) 

  • The blanket stitch around the edge of the appliques was hand-stitched, but only because I'm not fortunate enough to have that stitch on my sewing machine. 
  • Little boys are busy and need a place to put their cars and stuff while they're cooking.  This apron has three pockets that work perfectly for holding toys or little hands.

This apron is simple, reasonably priced to make, and would make a wonderful gift for a little boy in your life.


You can find directions on how to use two dish towels to make an adult sized dish towel apron at Martha Stewart.com. 
Today's Fabulous Find...The Dish Towel Apron.

This post is linked to some fabulous parties!  
Click on the buttons in my sidebar to check them out.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I love this. I just asked my seamtress friend to help me make one of these for my Grandson...we always have the mom & daughter matching aprons but not sons...I just emailed this to her, it is so cute, thank you for sharing!

From the Old InkWell said...

Love this idea!

Beth Stone said...

Great idea - I have a bunch of nephews who love to cook - they would love to have their own aprons. You did a great job on it!

Tanya said...

This is fantastic and SO what I've been looking for..without even knowing it...for my little kitchen helper! I am going to try to make this for him for Christmas :)
Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ EmbellishingLifeEveryday said...

Thanks for linking this up at the Catwalk! I'll be featuring this in the morning :)

BabsMadeIt said...

I love this idea. My kids preschool teacher's Chirstmas wish list included dress up clothes. I think this little apron w/ a chef's hat (w/ a 40% coupon from Joann's/Michael's) will be perfect.

Sting said...

This blog is elegant and superb good job! here is a topic about gg train horn and more about Nathan Train Horn, Nathan DeVore as producer. Kirby has appeared in 23 movies and television episodes and is the associate producer of Singles 2nd Ward and co-producer of Take a Chance, and Pirates of the Great Salt Lake.Sarah Morgann is a vocalist from North Carolina. Her voice training comes from Dan Truhitte, famed for his movie role of Rolfe in The Sound of Music. She has been singing solo since the age of six.....

http://elifbay.com/ said...

I love this. I just asked my seamtress friend to help me make one of these for my Grandson...we always have the mom & daughter matching aprons but not sons...I just emailed this to her, it is so cute, thank you for sharing!
https://elifbay.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails