Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

9.28.2011

Interchangeable Photo/Quote/Recipe Block

I thought you might possibly be interested in making these blocks for yourself or for gifts maybe?  I didn't officially add it all up, but I think they only cost around $1 each...which is really not too bad!



So what are they for?  You can use the blocks to show off family photos (including snapshots that get tucked away and are forgotten about), quotes, recipes, kids spelling lists, dinner menu, grocery list, scripture of the day, thought of the day, joke of the day, alphabet cards, picture of Grandpa and Grandma, kids drawings or handouts they bring home from church etc., pretty much anything you can clip on!

The photo blocks can easily be personalized.  There are endless possibilities that can be created by using different styles of scrapbook paper and embellishments.  Plus, it's just plain fun to come up with new looks!

  Alphabet Printable at Sprik Space and loads of cute free printables!


 
Go to Sprik Space for LOTS of cute and free printables.


Supplies

2 x 8 board cut into a square (7 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 2)
Electric Sander and Sandpaper
Hot Glue Gun
1 1/4" Binder Clip
Paint and Foam Brush
Distress Ink (Dark Walnut)
Mod Podge
Scrapbook Paper 1-two sided sheet or 2 coordinating papers
Ribbon, jute, etc.
Embellishment for the clip

 Want to make one?  Here's how you do it:

1. The blocks measure 7 1/4" x 7 1/4" x 2".  They are cut from a 2x8.  I know, confusing right?  When you look for a board, set it on the floor, pick up one end of it and then put your eyes right up to the board to look down it to see if it's straight.  You will probably need to dig through the boards to find the best ones.  I used pine because it's cheap.

2. Sand the block with an electric sander to take off the rough edges. Wipe down with a damp paper towel.

3. Paint the block and let dry.  I bought a sample of black paint at Lowe's for $3 and I love how it went on.  I thought it was so much better than craft paint.  The Lowe's employee mixed it with extra black because I wasn't going to prime the board--worked like a charm!

4. When the paint is dry sand the edges and corners to take off some of the black paint.  Wipe down with a damp paper towel

5. Cut out the scrapbook paper just smaller than the block.  The top piece should measure @ 6 5/8" x 5"  and the bottom piece should be cut at @ 6 5/8" x 2".

6. Run a distressing ink pad around the edges of the paper.  I found it worked well to smear the ink into the paper with my finger before it dried.

7. With a foam brush, brush the Mod Podge onto the front of the block.  Press the scrapbook paper on and press the paper down with your fingers to remove any air bubbles.  Let dry.

8. Brush a layer of Mod Podge onto the top of your paper.  After it's applied, run a dry brush across it in the opposite direction of the brush lines to create a mat effect.  You can also scrunch up a plastic sack and gently dab the glue with it to give it a canvas look.  Let Dry.

My sister had the ingenious idea to use a ribbon to glue the clip on.  I was trying to think of a way to attach the clip so there wouldn't be concerns that it might pop off after a few uses (I hate it when things like that happen, I never seem to get around to fixing them) and also so I didn't have to pay for a tube of expensive glue.  When I called her, she had the perfect solution, just run the ribbon through it!

9. Run your ribbon through a 1" binder clip, fold the ends under, pull the two ends together and hot glue in the center back top of the block.  The top of the clip should be even with the top of the wood.  This allows you to pull the clip away from the board to switch out the photos.

 


10. Hot glue an embellishment onto the front of the clip if you'd like.  The firetruck is a button from a scrapbooking store, it came in a package of 6 different vehicles for $2.49.

11. Use some ribbon, jute, fabric, whatever you like to hide paper seam and wrap it around the block, overlapping it by 1" in the back.  Hot glue in place.  The white ribbon, pictured above, was Mod Podged on, it worked really well.

12. Clip on your favorite family photo, recipe, quote, whatever you like.


The ladies at my church will be making these photo blocks at our Craft Night next week, so I'll be busy for the next few days getting everything all ready to go.  It should be fun!

I searched around for some inspiration, looking for things that I liked about other photo blocks, before making these.  Check out the posts below for some great ideas!

Today's Fabulous Finds...

at Under the Table and Dreaming

at Little Birdie Secrets

at Lil' Luna

at Shanty 2 Chic

Wood Photo Blocks

Free print at Poppies at Play


Linking up here:

Tip Junkie handmade projectslil luna link party button


Pin It!

18 comments:

Amanda said...

These all look wonderful, thank you for sharing!

farmhouse-story said...

oh, so cute, janet! thanks for the tut!

laxsupermom said...

Cute idea! So many different uses and ways to personalize these. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

These are so cute! They would make fabulous teacher gifts.

Karen said...

Those are adorable Janet! I wish my ward would do more fun crafts like this!!

Inspired By June said...

What a great idea, Janet! So many inspiring things you can do with these!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Great idea~ these are darling! Would love for you to come share at Feathered Nest Friday sometime!

Coley said...

Oh I love how these turned out and I think they'd be a great group craft too.

Ashley said...

so cute girl! i love the way they turned out:)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Those are so cute! The papers and embellishments you chose go perfect together. I think anyone would love to have those as a gift.

I would love for you to stop by and link up your project.
http://www.thenotsofunctionalhousewife.com/2011/09/functional-friday-linky-party-1.html

Chrissy said...

Soo cute!! I agree about this being a great teachers gift!!! Thanks for the directions!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

So very cute! :) I have so much scrap lumber... but not any paper. :(
gail

Melissa said...

Hello, Janet! These are so cute, and the possibilities are endless! I'm thinking it would be great for Activity Days :) Thanks for linking up~have a great weekend!

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I wanted to let you know that I featured this great project on my "What I Bookmarked This Week" post - stop by and see!

Marnie said...

such a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
x Marnie

carol said...

really cute. thanks for sharing. it's christmas eve and i'm trying to figure out how to gather supplies and make a couple before the festivities begin. i wish i'd have found your blog about a week ago! merry christmas...

Janet said...

To Carol: I think the hardest part is gathering the supplies. :) Good luck getting them done and Merry Christmas!

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

Janet, I made a few of these and love them. I can't wait to make more. Feel free to check them out on my blog. Thanks for the great idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails