Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

9.06.2012

5 Step Fall Stacker Blocks

The other day I was out on a drive with my family and saw that the leaves in the mountains are already starting to change colors.  It's hard to believe that Fall is already well on it's way! 


For my first Fall craft of the season, I decided to give stacker blocks a go.  I made up several different sayings but so far I only have one set that is finished and ready to show you.  These are simple to make and easy on the wallet.  I added up my cost and figure that I made this set for less than $1.25--not too bad!  (This was the cost for the wood and the ribbon, I already had the other supplies.)  I will be able to make 10 sets out of one 8' board (that cost around $1.30) and the ribbon (that was $3.99 for 9' at JoAnn's) will be enough for four sets.  I could have saved even more if I'd spent less on the ribbon or used a coupon.
 

'Fall Blessings' Stacker Blocks
(Measures 2 3/4" tall by 5" wide)

Supplies:
  • 9" length of a 1 3/8" square board (I bought one at Lowe's that was 8' long for only $1.28.  I can't remember what it is called, but it was one of the economical pine boards near the cutting area and the measurement was rounded up on the sign.  Be sure to pick through them and look for a board that is fairly straight.)
  • dark walnut stain and a rag
  • paint colors of your choice (I used vanilla, orange, and barn red.) and a foam brush
  • stencil or vinyl letters
  • sandpaper
  • ribbon (2 feet for each set)
Step One:
Cut the board into three pieces that measure 1 3/8", 2 1/4", and 5".  I used a miter box and hand saw.
Sand any rough edges.


Step Two:
Stain the wood using a rag or brush and allow to dry. 
(TIP:  Stain/craft over a garbage bag to protect your table.  When you are done turn the garbage bag inside out to use in your trash can.)


Step Three:
Paint the front sides of the blocks.
Sand edges to distress.

Step four:
Cut out a stencil (I used a Silhouette craft cutter) in contact paper or vinyl (or buy a stencil that is already done), place on the blocks, and paint over it.
 The font I used is called KG Skinny Latte and the leaf was converted to a stencil from a Microsoft image.


Step Five:
Lightly sand over the words to distress and tie a ribbon around the blocks.


I originally painted 'blessings' and the leaf black, but they didn't stand out enough.  I was fortunate in that I was able to reposition the original contact paper stencil to paint over it again in a vanilla color.  The stencil wasn't exactly in place so some of the black shows through.  In the end it was a lucky mistake and I really like how it turned out.



My 5 year old had another vision for the blocks--It's funny how our minds work so differently! :)


If you're looking for a simple craft idea for a craft night or a 'Super Saturday' craft day I think stencilled stacker blocks would be a fun choice.  I'm planning to wrap a few sets up in cellophane wrap and add a ribbon to give away as small 'thinking of you' gifts, I hope they like them! 


Today's Fabulous Find...
Fall Stacker Blocks for just over a Dollar





Pin It!

9 comments:

Sheila said...

This is beautiful and I can't believe it is so cheap! Thanks for sharing...

Carrie said...

Cute, cute!! Pinning to try myself!
Thanks

Emily Thompson said...

very cute! I love this fall message. Might have to find a way to make something like this...

Karen said...

Super cute Janet! I absolutely love the weathered distressed look. It's my favorite! I can't believe how cheap you did it! Are you enjoying some crafting time with your kids in school? I am missing my oldest. Just took her to BYU-I! Take care:)

Vintage Street Designs said...

These little blocks are adorable! You did a fabulous job! I just love decorating for Fall! Hopped over from Strut Your Stuff and happy to be your newest follower. Would love to have you stop by for a visit! Blessings ~ Judy @ www.vintagestreetdesigns.com

Unknown said...

What a cute fall idea. Am falling for it:)

Hopping by and following your lovely blog (FB).

The Quiet Mom blogging:
Recipe: Garlic-Parsley Fried Brown Rice
Crafting: Skip-Counting Project: Count by Five

Dixie n Dottie said...

How lovely! Great job! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Fall link party! Hope to see you there! Have a great week! :)
http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_09_10_archive.html

mylittlecorner said...

Brilliant idea ... definately want to try this too. Thank you for sharing such lovely ideas with us all. I am desperately looking for good Christmas Presents and this is one of them, using Christmas holiday words. Thank you again.

Janet said...

To mylittlecorner: Finding good small Christmas presents can sometimes be challenging, I'm glad I could help in your search. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails