Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

3.04.2011

DIY Crate--from Paint Sticks (Tutorial)

Are you ready for another paint stick project?  Hope so!  This one came about out of desperation.  You see, I saw this really great decorative wood box at a craft store that I really really loved and I was desperate to have it! :)  Unfortunately I didn't love the price tag...$30!  Ouch!  I looked around for something else that would fit my narrow shelf, but just couldn't find anything that was the right size.  I was just about to give in and pay the money (I loved it that much) when I was looking at my small stash of paint sticks one night and realized that they would be the perfect size for making a long narrow crate.  Instead of buying a box for $30, I was able to make the crate for only $3.50!   I decided to stain it instead of using paint I had on hand, so I paid $4.50 for a can of stain.  I used very little of it and will be able to use it on other projects. 



Prep for Assembly

What you'll need
4 paint sticks--5 gallon size (you can buy them at Wal-mart or The Home Depot)
1- pine board that is 3/8" deep by 4" wide by 36" long  (buy it pre-cut at Lowes, the price is around $3)
Wood glue
Jute or Rope
Drill
Staple Gun (optional)
Handsaw and miter box (or an electric saw if you have one)


1.  Cut the paint sticks off at the top just where they start to curve. (The first picture shows the extra pieces of wood that you won't use for the crate.)

2.  Decide how tall you want your box (depends on the spacing of the paint sticks), mark and cut the height for the ends of the crate on each end of the pine board (if you're using a hand-saw) and cut them off.  (I cut it from the ends so that I could use the clean edge of the board for the top of the box, the uneven edge from the cut is hidden at the bottom.)  Line up the paint sticks and the box ends with the remaining piece of the pine board, mark it, and then cut it for the bottom of the crate.

3.  Sand any writing off of the paint sticks.

4.  Drill two holes in each of the end pieces for the handles.

5.  Set all of the pieces together and make sure that everything lines up correctly.

Assembly


1.  Glue each end onto the bottom of the crate.  I had to hold the pieces together for awhile until the glue dried enough that when I let go it would hold.  (TIP:  If you are staining the crate, the wood won't stain whereever there is glue, so be careful to keep the wood clean.)

2.  Using a staple gun, staple each end piece to the bottom of the crate.  This was a bit difficult, PLEASE BE CAREFUL and watch your fingers!  Hammer the staples in the rest of the way if necessary.  The staples are just for decoration really, so you can skip this step if you don't own a staple gun.

3.  Apply some wood glue to the sides, put the paint sticks in place, and staple.

The Handles

I think the pictures pretty much show how to make the handles.  I used 6 strands of jute, paired them in two's, and braided them.  Rope would work too.  I used jute because I had it on hand.



Tip:  If you're painting or staining the crate it would be best to add  the handles very last.
 


 Finishing
 

I stained it with a dark walnut stain.  This goes one very dark, just so you know.  I put just a small amount on a rag and quickly rubbed it on.  The paint sticks absorb the stain quickly so be ready to wipe the excess right off.  I practiced with the ends of the paint sticks, that I cut off to make the crate, first.


If you want, you can sand it down some if the stain is darker than you like.


For my spring decor, I filled it with some greenery and Spanish moss.  The greenery is from JoAnn's and was on sale, buy one, get one free, so it was $10 for two.


There are so many things that you can fill this crate with... 


5 pint jars fit perfectly--you could fill them with fresh flowers
pillar candles
clay pots with flowers
pine cones in the winter
raised candles with flowers around them
small pumpkins in the fall
apples
small potted plants
you could line it with plastic and grow wheat grass in it for spring
or
any collection of items you enjoy
 


I'm thinking about adding some stenciling to the crate, like...
 
 {insert last name}Shipping Co.
Est. {insert year married}
 

This isn't the first crate that I've made with paint sticks.  I made a small one last year that I'll show you sometime soon.  Also, I just finished another project yesterday that I made with...you guessed it...more paint sticks!  I should have a tutorial written for it sometime next week. 

Today's Fabulous Find...DIY 'Paint Stick' Crate


I'm entering my crate in DIY Project Party!
DIY Club

Linking up to some of these great parties...

Pin It!

71 comments:

Mel said...

This is amazing! I've never seen the big paint sticks, but I'll be looking for them now.

Hootin Anni said...

Well I'll be darned!!!! This has to be one of the most cleverest of clever ideas!! And I'll be sure to look a whole lot differently at those paint sticks now! What a slew of ideas I could come up with....all thanks to you and your blog share.


My Flaunt It link: A Beautiful Girl

Do stop by if you get a chance to visit. Happy Happy Rango Weekend.

Chris said...

This is so cute and I am amazed you made it with the paint sticks! I think I have some laying around some where and I must try this project! Thanks for sharing. Chris

Michelle said...

Wow, love it! I love a good crate, but like you hate the price tag, Thanks for sharing!

~Rosanne said...

That is too cool. Thanks for sharing - it looks lovely.

laxsupermom said...

Love this project! I didn't know you could buy paint stirrers, I always thought you had to sweet talk the paint guy. Your crate looks terrific! Thanks for sharing.

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Oh my gosh! I love this idea. It turned out so cute. Going to have to remember this idea for a future craft project.
http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

The Relative Detective said...

Brilliant! Simply brilliant idea.
You are truly the queen of paint sticks.
Thanks so much for this idea.
I'm hoping to try it out for myself soon.

Sommer said...

Are you kidding me?! Janet this is SIMPLY BRILLIANT! I have been wanting one of these for my new coffee table and now I can make my own! Thank you thank you! I now have a girl crush on you and your blog lol. I'm also a new follower.
I would be delighted if you would link this
up to my VIP party today :) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/guess-what-were-back-online-for-weekly.html

Sommer @ Designer Garden

willowbird35 said...

Now THAT is the most clever idea I've seen in a long time! You amaze me! You're like the paint stick queen! (that is a compliment, by the way!) LOL! - Karen

Audrey said...

Love this! I'm a new follower!! Excited to see more!!

Karen said...

Oh, this is such a great idea! I love what you can do with paint sticks:) Thanks so much for sharing!!

Megan said...

what a great idea. I love the handles.

megan
craftycpa.blogspot.com

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

Cleverly frugal! I love what you did to make something beautiful out of something ordinary. Well done.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Great thrifty idea...love how it looks! I’m having a giveaway...be sure to come by and check it out…it ends March 6.

Blessings,
Linda

The Sterling Cherub said...

Brand new follower here!

This is brilliant! I love it and am putting it on my list of great ideas!

Best,

Kimberly

Amanda said...

This is such an amazing idea, I've wanted some of these for ages but have been put of by their price, thank you for sharing!

Ashleigh@Sincerely said...

Such a good idea! Tucking this away in the inspiration finals!

Best,
Ashleigh

Unknown said...

this is SO cute. GREAT tutorial.
I appreciate the plentiful pictures of every step :)

Kim said...

What a great idea and thanks for the tutorial! This went right into my favorite ideas for later use!

Jennifer @ Rustic Renditions said...

Really cute and creative!

Abby said...

Great idea! I love it! I will be trying this for sure!

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Turned out great...looks so nice with the plant in it

Gail said...

Ya gotta love paint sticks. You can get them free if you ask nicely. I like Walmart's because they don't have any printing. I even made a Santo out of them. Check it out here:
http://www.cantstopmakingthings.com/2011/01/make-your-own-santo.html

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hi, Janet! Wanted to let you know that I featured this post today! :) Couldn't believe you made the crate out of paint sticks!! I have a new "Featured At" button too if you'd like to grab it for your blog. Thanks so much for linking up with me for Weekend Bloggy Reading. :)

dubb and dawni said...

I love your ideas... So fun. Thnaks for sharing

Heaven's Walk said...

VERY clever!!!! Love this project! Thanks for the great tutorial, Janet! I'm a new follower!

xoxo laurie

Anonymous said...

Very good idea! I love it!

Christine said...

Wow! Never would have thought to do this. Wow! Speechless, except for WOW!

Angie Holden said...

This is just completely awesome!!!

Audrey said...

I received the Stylish Blogger Award and I am passing it on to you!! Love your work! Audrey :o)

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Easy, cheap and great to look at.

Herman Grans ♥ said...

Looks great :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Sweet project, Janet! I just love the long skinny shape!

I've featured you on SNS #71's sidebar this weekend. :)

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Saby said...

This is AWESOME! I can't wait to put to use those all those paint sticks I have lying around the house - thanks so much for sharing this great idea!

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

What a great idea. I always toss my paint sticks but I think I will start saving them.

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

I'm your newest follower. I'm having a party over at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/ I would love if you stopped by and linked up your project.

Jessie K said...

Followed you over from The Craft Catwalk. I love this so much and it's definitely on my to-do list! Thank you so much for sharing!

I {heart} Nap Time said...

Holy Cow this is FABULOUS!! Love it!! I'd love for you to join the party at I ♥ Nap Time

Erin said...

I love this idea! So creative and inexpensive! I found your blog at the DIY Showoff. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

Cristy @ Art•ing Shed•quarters said...

I love brilliant ideas!!!

Sarah said...

Cleaver!

Anonymous said...

I love crates like this and recently bought one with little jars in it. Yours is very cute with the greenery in it too!

Ashley said...

Very cute. might have to try. I'm your newest follower. mind following me back www.southernwhim.blogspot.com

Karen said...

This is brilliant!

Tammy @ Type A said...

This is a very cool tutorial. Turned out great, would love to have you join my party.

http://typeadecorating.blogspot.com/2011/03/anything-goes-party-7.html

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

love the handles!

Humble Homemaker said...

Awesome Project! I have been wanting to make one of these for a while but didn't know how. Thanks for sharing. :) I am a new follower!
Humble Homemaking

Recaptured Charm said...

Genius! I LOVE it. That's my kinda project. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa

.:+Pearlofafrika+:. said...

very nice! I love how cheap and easy it is, without looking cheap and easy. :D

Sommer said...

I made this today! Check my blog tomorrow, I've highlighted your tutorial on it and will post mine in a separate thread. Thanks! It was so much fun!

Sharon said...

So cute! It got me thinking that you could also use a yard stick do make something similar and it would be cute for a teacher because it would have the ruler marks on it.

Janet said...

In reply to Sharon: That's such a fantastic idea! It could hold computer CD's if it was made wide enough. Thanks for sharing your idea!

The Cluff's said...

Love, love this! What a great idea!

Tiffany said...

i really like the simplicity here. thinking of how i could use it. great job.

Katy said...

very clever!

Unknown said...

This is darling! I featured it today at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Roeshel said...

So clever, so cute, Janet! Great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade. ;)

Take care!
Roeshel

B said...

Hmm, I never would have thought to use paint sticks for making things. What a great idea! I love the crate you made and the finish as well. You've inspired me for sure!

~ www.billiemonster.com ~

Designed by Chance said...

This is great. What a wonderful and creative solution you have found. I have some old clementine boxes that I could do something similar with. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jamara @ My NW Nest said...

That's a great idea! I love those little crates but you're right, they are SO expensive. Nicely done!

Rachel Sue said...

I love this! I would love to feature it on my blog, Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

Kara said...

This is totally awesome! I've never seen the big paint sticks before, but I will be on the hunt now. :)

Jena @ Involving Color and Home said...

Janet, I love this crate! Such a great project for a great price. So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Diana said...

I found you on the CSI project. So cute! Love this idea, I'm definately gonna try it.

Holly Kennedy said...

This is so fantastic! I have been looking for a long narrow box for my kitchen table, but I haven't found one that I like that has been in my budget. This one, however, is just perfect! Thanks for the great tutorial! I think I am going to Mason jars filled with crayons in mine...

Jenn said...

Such a great idea! Definitely pinning this! And I love your little soap box too!

extreme personal measures said...

This is so creative! I've seen what these crates cost! Great job! I am featuring it this afternoon!

Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers said...

This is such a cute idea. I love how this turned out. It can be used for so many different things. I wanted to let you know I featured you this week! You can view the post here:

http://designdininganddiapers.com/2012/02/top-10-tuesday-paint-sticks-arent-just-for-paint

Suzy said...

This is a great project! I LOVE it. Thank you so much for sharing.

My Repurposed Life said...

Love this Janet! saw it on pinterest, repinning it! :)
great tutorial

gail

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails