Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

9.26.2012

Fall {Pine Cone Flower} Wreath Tutorial

Happy Fall!  Last year I showed you how I made a burlap bubble wreath for my decorative door, then how to spiffy it up with Fall flowers.  This Fall I really wanted to make a wreath to hang on my front door.  My original plan was to use the leftover pine cones from my Christmas centerpieces and just glue them onto a wreath form.  When I sat down to get started though one idea led to another and I ended up going in a whole new direction.  I could not be more pleased with the results!


I spent around $5 on supplies.   The wreath form was four dollars and I had to stock up on my supply of hot glue, everything else was from my stash...or from my yard...or from my Grandma's yard (she has TONS of the cutest little pine cones). 

The pine cone flowers in the center are quite fun to make and they are sooo easy to paint!  My mind is racing with all of the ways they could be used!


 How to Make a Pine Cone Flower Wreath

Supplies

Small Pine Cones (lots of them)
3 Medium Pine Cones
12" Foam Wreath Form or Larger
Burlap
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
Small Handheld Pruners
Large (tree limb size) Pruners
Paint:  Yellow, Orange, Vanilla, Brown
A Few Small Branches/Twigs
Ribbon to Hang It
Sprig of Berries
 Clear Acrylic Spray (Optional)

Directions


Starting at the bottom, use the handheld pruners to cut the small pine cones into flat sections. 
This will get VERY messy.  You might even want to cut them outside. 

*Watch your fingers and make sure you keep them out of the way of the pruners.


Use the tip of the pruners to clean up any damaged pieces of the pine cone around the center core.

Wrap burlap around the foam wreath form and hot glue it in the back.

Hot glue the little "flowers" to the burlap, just close enough to each other that they are touching.


 

Hot glue the sticks and berry sprig to the back side of the wreath. 

Double up a ribbon and loop it around itself at the top of the wreath.

 


'Candy Corn' Painted Pine Cone Flowers

Use a large set of pruners to cut the larger pine cones into flat sections.  Again, be very careful and make sure your fingers are out of the way, you might want to wear safety glasses too.  I had to quickly open and close the pruners repeatedly to cut through the core of the pine cone.


The flowers are painted in soft 'candy corn' colors with brown paint on the tips of the petals.  You can use any paint you have on hand and layer and mix colors to get just the shade that you want.  I chose not to paint over the dark brown color around the center of the pine cone. 

To weatherproof them, spray them with a clear acrylic spray.

Glue the flowers onto the twigs, using plenty of hot glue.




In December I'll remove the Fall flowers and ribbon and add a red ribbon and Christmas flowers for a whole new look.


So now I have a decision to make:  Do I hang it outside on my unprotected door like I originally planned
(where it will be rained on, tossed to and fro by the wind, and inevitably get covered in dust) or do I find a place for it inside? 


I don't think I could stand to see it get ruined, I love it too much! 

Have you ever made pine cone flowers?  If you haven't, do you think you'd like to give it a try?

If you liked this post and would like to pass the idea along to your blog readers or on Facebook or Pinterest I'd be thrilled!  (Sharing ideas is the reason I blog.)  You are welcome to use one of my pictures with a link back to this post if you'd like.  Thanks!

Today's Fabulous Find...Pine Cone Flowers




Sharing at these fabulous parties!

Fall Party
Pin It!

38 comments:

Karyn said...

It's beautiful Janet! I'm going to pin it! :o)

œKaryn
A is for Apple B is for Blog
Kideducator@comcast.net

Rebecca said...

I absolutely love this wreath. Great job!

Susan said...

SO pretty!! I don't think I'd leave it on that door though. I've got a fall wreath hanging the inside window in my kitchen....I used a Command Hook and hung it so it faces in.

Katherine said...

I have been thinking of doing some pinecone flowers and here you've done a whole wreath! I am sure it took quite a while but it looks amazing! Great job!

Janet said...

To Susan: I only left it on the door long enough to take a few pictures--I just couldn't risk it. :) I like the idea to hang it in a window, thanks!

Kathie, I think it took between 2-3 hours to make. I'm making another one for my sister so I'll keep track of the time and add how long it takes me to make it to the post, in case anyone wants to know.

Lynette said...

So cute!

Lynn said...

Very cool! I've been thinking about making the flowers like you have in the center, they look great! Think I'll give it a try:@)

Marta said...

LOVE IT!!!!!
Thanks for sharing this wreath is amazing
Hugs
Marta

Unknown said...

Pretty! I love the painted flowers, very creative too!

Karen said...

So pretty Janet! I have so many pine cones in my front and backyard. I should try something like this!! I love it:)

Jodi said...

pretty much dying over how awesome this is :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this AND your blog. Some friends and I are going to clean up the neighbors yard to make this LOL. Trying to get an idea of many we need?

Janet said...

Thanks Marta and Jodalee!

To Anonymous: You're neighbors are going to love you! It will depend on the size of your pine cones. The ones that I used measured 2 1/2" long by @1" in diameter, some were smaller. If you gather enough to fill a plastic grocery sack 3/4 full (or full if your neighbors have a lot of them), you should have plenty. I wish I'd kept better track of how many I used. Let me know how it goes! :)

Bonnie @ Uncommon Designs said...

This is stunning!!!!

Crafty Mischief said...

What a beautiful fall wreath! I love that you turned the pincones into flowers!

Seasoned with Grace said...

I love this! My problem, all our pinecones are tremendous, literally. They would make great flowers. Pinned this idea in case I locate any tiny ones. Hang it inside for sure!

Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage said...

This wreath is so gorgeous! Love, love, love the flowers! Visiting from MRL party and am your newest GFC follower.

Janet said...

To Seasoned Grace: I will for sure hang be hanging it inside.:) I wish I had 'tremendous' pine cones and I'd be making them into flowers for sure. Good luck with your search for a smaller variety!

Maria said...

Oh wow how BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love your wreath, what a unique, creative idea! It looks lovely!

Mandy Coffey said...

Found you via Pinterest and am your newest RSS follower!


Keep up the great work! <3



Mandy
smallfineprint.com

Kara said...

Wow Janet, this is just gorgeous! I've seen the pine cone flowers used to embellish a gift before, but I never would have thought to make them into a wreath. Totally love it!

Jenn said...

This is just beautiful! I love how you can change it out for the different seasons. Pinned!

Chelsea @ Making Home Base said...

What a gorgeous wreath. I love the pinecone "flowers," and how it just feels like fall :)

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That is absolutely beautiful & super-genius! I'd better be scavenging more pinecones on my morning walks!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

This wreath is beautiful! What a fantastic idea. My toddler just collected a ton of pine cones. I'd love to try this out. Megan

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Janet--I'm not a huge fan of wreaths, but I LOVE this wreath. Those flowers just make me smile! great tute, thanks for sharing at CCC!
catching you of course!!
gail

JoAnn SweetPepperRose said...

This is very pretty, a new reason for me to pick up my pinecones!
JoAnn

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

I love your pine cone wreath, so very clever and creative. Thanks so much for the tutorial too, this is on my list! Saw you featured at My Repurposed Life.

Gayle215 said...

I really love this gorgeous wreath! I have pinned it already. I think I have all the supplies I need either in my garage or craft room! My husband was just laid-off this week so I think I will be making a few of these as gifts for upcoming birthdays and Christmas. Thanks so much for the great directions.

Janet said...

Thank you Gayle! That's awesome that you already have the supplies you need! I'm so sorry that your husband was laid-off this week and hope that he will be able to find new employment soon. :)

Anonymous said...

Shirley said:
I love this wreath. I have made pinecone wreaths before but not the flower shape. When I made my wreaths I soaked the pinecones in warm water before wiring them to the wire wreath. As the cones dried they would open and interlink together and this made a real tight wreath. Thanks for posting.

Janet said...

To Shirley: Thanks for the great tip! I didn't know that's what you do to get a tight fit, I'll have to give it a try!

Unknown said...

Hi-Just wanted you to know I featured your amazing pinecone wreath on my Saturday favs and I'm your newest linky follower-Have a great weekend! Claire

Amanda said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS. Fantastic job :) I have featured it on Craft Gossip today.

Patty V said...

I love to collect pine cones and am so happy you shared this with us. Now I have a project to show off all the ones I have. Thank you....................

Mary said...

Your wreath is simply gorgeous. Thanks for the tutorial!

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Beautiful wreath! I have a ton of pine cones that I could use for this. Love how they look like little flowers when cut. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Mr Paul said...

Absolutely lovely, what a beautiful wreath.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails