Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

10.07.2011

{Soft & Chewy} M&M Rice Crispy Treats

Today I'm sharing a quick, well-known, and delicious Halloween treat, that any kid would love (even the big one's).


My family loves chocolate, so we always add some M&M's to our rice crispy treats.  I have a yummy recipe that I use (from the Rice Krispies Box in the 70's or 80's) that makes a nice soft treat that's not too gooey, not too crisp .  I like to make a large batch (1 1/2 x's the recipe) so they are nice and tall in a 9x13 pan. 


I've altered the cooking directions from the recipe on the box (an older version my mom had from the 70's or 80's) slightly to get a rice crispy treat that is soft and chewy, this is the way that I make them, I'm sure most everyone has a version that they love.

Marshmallow Treats (1 1/2 x'd)
6 T butter
6 cups miniature marshmallows
7 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
M&M's (about 1/3 to 1/2 of a medium bag, can use seasonal colors) 

Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.  Add marshmallows and stir until fully melted and well blended.   Remove from heat.

Add Rice Krispies cereal.  Stir until well coated.  Gently fold in the M&M's.

Poor mixture evenly into a buttered 13x9x2 inch pan, sprinkle a few more M&M's on top and gently press down using a buttered spatula or waxed paper (the paper the butter is wrapped in works great for this).  Press it down enough to push it all together, but not too firmly or the treats will be hard and the M&M's will smash.  Cut into squares when cooled.

Click here for the microwave directions and/or to compare the 70's recipe to the recipe Kellogs uses now.  Today's recipe has less butter and more Rice Krispies.


I put the treats in these cute little bags that I found at the dollar store, there were 25 in a box.  I  like the cute side of Halloween, so I was happy to find them!  When I take rice crispy treats places, I like to individually wrap them.  This way there are no worries that they will stick together on a plate, or that fingers will get sticky.  They can just hold them in the bag while they eat them if they'd like.


I bought this bowl earlier in the year for only $6. At the time I never thought to use it for Halloween, but it was just what I needed.


I put all of the rice crispy treats in it to set out for a funeral dinner.  Right now you might be thinking this is an odd thing to take to a funeral dinner, so let me explain. :)  Most often there are young children in attendance who have just had to sit quietly for what seems to them like a very long time.  I like to take something special and fun just for them to eat at the dinner, or to take with them to eat as a snack on a long drive home (another reason to wrap them individually).


There are so many fun and creative treat ideas for Halloween, some more complicated than others.  This is a simple treat, perfect for parties, to take to the neighbors, or for your own family, that goes together quickly without a lot of mess or stress, which is so my kind of treat! :) 

Today's Fabulous Finds...Fall M&M's and Dollar Store Treat Bags

 


Linking to:  Tator Tots and Jello
Pin It!

5 comments:

Ms. Craftsalot said...

Thanks for this great information. It's interesting to see there is a difference in the past and present recipes. One thing I have discovered is that cooking them on the stove top keeps the softer longer than cooking them in the microwave. My parents started using the microwave to make them when the idea first came about, but a few years ago I started cooking them over the stove when my newer microwave was too small for the bowl I usually made them in, and I've not gone back, (unless I just want a small helping for myself and I eat it immediately). Thanks!

Ms. Craftsalot said...

I also add M&M's whenever I can, sooo yummy!

farmhouse-story said...

i've never made these, maybe, now is the time--looks yummy, janet-tfs!

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! I never thought of adding chocolate to rice crispy treats! I am copying your recipe so I can make some soft ones, too! Yum Yum! I have a party going on over at my blog that is dedicated to using your craft stash items. The link is open for most of October and I would love to have you join! Here is the link if you are interested: http://mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com/2011/10/document.html

Susan said...

Fixing those - INDIVIDUALLY wrapped - is a godsend at any dinner, funeral or otherwise. Those kids are going to be tickled!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails