Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

10.17.2011

{Spooky} 2x4 Pumpkins

On October 8th I guest posted at Pocket Full of Pinks' Monster Craft Bash and showed how to make these 2x4 pumpkins.  They're also part of my new Fall 'Mantel'.   Notice the shelf is black in this photo and white in the charger photo?  More on that coming up. :)  Here's the post in case you missed it. 


Two years ago I was inspired by some pumpkins at It's A Daisy Day (a private blog now) and made the 2x4 pumpkins pictured below.  I've set them out for two Fall seasons now, so this year I made just a couple of small changes to make them feel new to me again. 


Before I get into the changes, this is how you make the 2x4 pumpkins...

Start with a 2x4 cut to 3 1/2", 6", and 8 1/2" tall. 

Directions:
1. Paint the 2x4 blocks. (I used Pumpkin Orange, a darker orange would look nice.)
2. Sand all edges.
3. Apply a brown wash with a rag or sponge brush by brushing it on and then wiping the excess off with a dry rag or paper towel.  (To make a brown wash add a squirt of dark brown paint to about 1/2 cup of water.)
4. Cut off 3 pieces of a dry branch for the stems. (Large pruners work great for this.)
5. Put a very large dab of hot glue right where you want the stem and then push the stem down into it.
6. Cut a piece of wire then curl the ends by wrapping the wire around a screwdriver or pencil. Wrap it around the stem to hold it in place.
7. Glue moss around the base of the stem.  Tie a raffia and ribbon bow then glue them on.


...so simple...now onto the changes...

The first thing I did was to darken the pumpkins by rubbing on some Valspar Antiquing Glaze (in the color Asphaltum) with a rag...a little change that made a huge difference! 

Then I remembered an idea (from a wedding photo) where a 1 1/2" to 2" slice from a log was used to group the items used for a table centerpiece.  I instantly loved the idea and thought, "wouldn't it be so fun to cut a slice from a log for my pumpkins?"  How hard could it be, right?  Well...I hurried out to the wood stack to find the perfect log to cut for my project.  When I got there I realized that they were all previously split for burning, drats.   I wasn't willing to give up the idea though, so I chose a larger (split) log with interesting bark, grabbed my hand saw (with a small, dull blade) and eagerly got to work.  I have to tell you, it was more work than I anticipated, as you can imagine cutting through this by hand.  As I cut, the log basically fell apart into pieces, ugh.  I was pretty sure that it could be put back together with wood glue, so I kept at it until I finally made it all of the way through the log.   My advice for you...cut the log with a power saw, or use a good hand saw!


In the end, it was well worth the effort. :)  A slice from a log is a fun way to bring the outdoors in and now that my sore muscles have fully recovered, I can honestly say that I didn't pay a thing for it. ;) 


Now...lets say that you want to temporarily change the pumpkins up a bit for Halloween.  Just add a little creepy crawler spider and some artificial webbing and you've got yourself a spooky little pumpkin patch.



Check out Karen's Monster Craft Bash, all through October, for some fun Halloween craft ideas and giveaways!


PocketFullofPink
Today's Fabulous Find...Spooky 2x4 Pumpkins



I'm entering the CSI Projects Halloween Challenge.

Visit thecsiproject.com






Pin It!

10 comments:

Mark and Amy said...

Love it!

farmhouse-story said...

the spooky version is so awesome, but i do love them all, janet:)

Connie said...

I love these pumpkins. I pinned them on Pinterest last fall. They have been repinned over 100 times. They are love by many!

Janet said...

Thanks Connie! We first made them for a Super Saturday Craft and it was fun to see how everyone put their personality into them and make them their own. They're a fun and easy craft to make for sure. :)

Valerie Earnest said...

I made pumpkins just like this a few years ago- love your update to them! I just might copy you on the antiquing.....

Lovingfallcrafts11 said...

Hi love this and going to try to make it this weekend. I was wondering if there is a certain kind of paint you have to use?

Janet said...

To Lovingfallcrafts11: Thanks! I just used inexpensive orange craft paint. You can buy it for around a dollar a bottle. You will probably need two coats, but it works great for the pumpkins. Have fun!

Unknown said...

These are adorable!! Cant wait to make these this fall!
Themothergoose.blogspot.com

HD said...

Love these! Where do you buy the wire?

Janet said...

Thank you HD! I think this is the same wire that I used, you can find it at JoAnn's. https://express.google.com/u/0/product/9478491675296115192_1651917046042454649_3122104?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=COPNo4i-jrej0wEQw-7hoouGwsXZARiQ_ZcBIgNVU0QokMH63QUwuMe-AQ&utm_campaign=3122104&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3ebdBRC1ARIsAD8U0V7d7bZLyWKPsizyQ6j53TTdcQzVy8GgnNVj5V2oyAHGOi15D4GEJ6UaAhjaEALw_wcB

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails