Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

4.20.2012

A Diva Dilemma: Before and After


The other day I was browsing through the frames at the dollar store and saw these lovelies.


They had been marked down to .50 because nobody wanted them.  Huh? Wonder why. ;)  Well I wanted them so I bought the last three and couldn't wait to get home to my spray paint! 

Side note:  Do you ever feel bad for the people who don't know what a little paint can do?  I wish I'd known when I was first married and living in an apartment full of freebies and mismatches.  I could have done so much! 

Okay, onto the after.........


The flowers are from my yard (they are a little sparse this year).  You can read how to paint a Mason jar hereIf you put water in the painted jar, it will need a liner of some kind (plastic cup) or the paint will bubble and peel).  The tray got a new coat of Rust-oleum's Heirloom White spray paint.  I painted it black here, and before that it looked like this!


I flipped the mirror around and painted chalkboard paint on the back of it so if I ever want to use the mirror I still can.  The paint color is Rust-oleum's satin sage and is somewhat deceiving depending on the lighting and what you put it next to, sometimes it seems more blue. 



Directions

1.  Sand the top down if there are any uneven lines from the previous paint or they will still show when you paint it.
2.  Spray with primer.  (I used 1 coat of gray and 1 coat of white just to make sure it was covered well.)
3.  Spray on 1 to 2 coats of paint  (I used Rust-oleums satin Sage).  Let dry.
4.  Run an ink pad around the edges to give it a distressed look.  Smear it some with your finger if needed.
5.  Finish it with a coat of matte or gloss clear acrylic finishing spray.
6.  Paint chalkboard paint on the back side of the mirror (so it can still be used). 



I cut the leaves out of burlap and added some Fray Check to the edges to help prevent fraying.  The rosette was made from a strip of osnaburg fabric.  I only glued it onto the jute (which is tied in the back) in case I want to take it off at any point.



I'm still deciding what I want to do with the other two frames, small gifts maybe?

Today's Fabulous Find...50 Cent Frames





Pin It!

34 comments:

Nicole said...

Beautiful - I always love scallops! What variety of dollar store did you find these at...of course I am hoping to find some too!

Janet said...

To answer Nicole's question, I bought the frames at Dollar Tree. I wish they'd had more than three, I could have used them for Christmas gifts.

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Super cute!!!!Visiting from Tatertots & Jello!

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

Wow! (and I did say that out loud when I was reading the post!) I was expecting to see a pretty scalloped frame painted a different color.

I laughed at your comment about your early years of marriage and what 'could' have been done with some paint. Been there!

They look FABULOUS! I'm going on a treasure hunt as soon as I can get out to the first yard sales this season. I'm glad I have some burlap lying around! :) Love it (and pinned it)!!!

Steph Jacobson said...

Beautiful! I wish I had your vision--I would have walked right by those frames without realizing their potential.

Unknown said...

awesome transformation! And I'm looking forward to your post on starting a project gallery, because I just spent FAR too long organizing tutorials on my blog, thinking there has GOT to be an easier way!

pooky said...

Wow! It's fabulous!

Valerie Earnest said...

Gorgeous! I wonder if the have them at my Dollar Tree. They'd make perfect gifts :)

Have a great weekend!

Laura @ Our Prairie Home said...

And I was just at Dollar Tree yesterday! That's fantastic! I have GOT to learn to look passed what things ARE to what they can BE. ~ Laura

farmhouse-story said...

oh, my, this is so clever, so very adorable, janet! your insight amazes me! love the paint color and cute rose:)

Claire @ a little something in the meantime . . . said...

So pretty! I love the paint colour that you used.

What vision you have to look at something so tacky and see potential. I saw another project with the same mirror a while back. For some reason people don't seem to be buying these ;)

Claire

Tracy said...

FABULOUS Janet -- just fabulous!! :)
Tracy

Kimberly said...

I LOVE this!! I do feel sorry for people who can't see the potential in stuff lol! ;) this is an amazing transformation!! So pretty.

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

So fantastic! Great transformation. I love finding things at the Dollar Store and then remaking it. So much fun. This is a really beautiful project.
www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

Erin @ Isaboo Designs said...

I love dollar tree so now I have to hope mine has these, this is so cute!

Unknown said...

That is some vision you had there! I love the colors. It looks amazing. What a transformation!

Melanie said...

Oh snap that was brilliant!!

Lauren said...

This looks fantastic! I was just at the dollar store today... going to have to go back and look for this.

Marisa said...

That turned out so good. I'm going to Dollar Tree. Thanks for the inspiration.

Toqua's Crafts said...

Very cute!
I like the color you chose.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Paint DOES make all the difference. Although I think that YOU just know how to make things beautiful, Janet. Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy! I LOVE the rosette with the burlap!!

Tresa said...

These are Fabulous!!!! :)

Christa said...

Great transformation!

Mixed Kreations said...

These are fantastic. I love the color. I will be looking at frames differently from now on. Thank you for sharing.

Iuliana@Hip2Thrift said...

I wanna run to the dollar store and see if they have them at mine. It looks just like those expensive ones you see everywhere these days.

Oh...and I totally know how you feel about other people's lack of knowledge about what paint can do...AND also how I wish I knew about paint earlier in my life.

Karen at Bargain-ista.com said...

This is super-gorgeous! I love the finished look! I also love that certain aspects are not permanent and you can change them later :)

Cheryl said...

Visiting from the linky party at Beneath My Heart...
What a great makeover you have done here! I just showed my daughter who said, "You'd never know that there was a Diva head under there." :D

Yes, it was a "Fabulous Find"!

Unknown said...

I love the shape of that frame!!!! So much cuter now!! I This was the most viewed link last week at Whatever Goes Wednesday at Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. I am featuring it today.

Maureen Hayes said...

Saw you featured at Oopsey Daisy and had to stop over. I would have walked right by those frames I am ashamed to admit. I LOVE what you did and even more that you saw the potential in them. I am your newest follower!

Bonnie @ Uncommon Designs said...

Stop it!! that is just amazing!! Love this!! :)

Bonnie @ uncommon

Susie {a.k.a. Mrs V} said...

Love this! What an inspiration!! I'm a new fan!!

Quiltpiecer said...

I agree with Susie! Love it! So creative and such an inspiration. Count me as a new fan and follower.

Anonymous said...

These are too cute!! I did not see them at my dollar store... need to go back and look for them! Thanks for sharing your fabulous idea!! :D

Karen said...

Love! I am so going to the Dollar Tree today and see what I can find! You are amazing Janet:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails