Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

5.05.2011

Mother's Day Subway Art Prints and Cards

A few weeks ago I started designing a subway art print for Mother's Day, but couldn't seem to find the right words to use.  Every mother has her own unique qualities and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to accurately describe even a handful of mothers using the same 9 or 10 words!  I made the decision to set it aside and designed the teacher subway art print instead with no plans to finish the Mother's Day subway art...that is until yesterday when I read a guest post at 320 Sycamore written by Marty from A Stroll Thru Life

Marty chose to use the very words that I was searching for and gave me the inspiration I needed to finish the print.  When my focus changed to using verbs instead of adjectives, the words just seemed to fall into place.  After all...Mothers do so much.

I want to thank Marty for her generosity in letting me 'borrow' her words for this subway art!  You can read her fabulous post here, as well as posts written by other moms for Melissa's Some Things I've Learned About Being a Mom series.


This frame was a $3 clearance find.  The words in the print are actually lighter than they appear in the photo, closer to the color of burlap.

I went back to my original subway art design and used the date of Mother's Day for the center box.  You could also edit the prints and place a photo in the center box, flower clip art, or something that has meaning to you.


I'm getting these prints posted pretty late, but no worries, for all of us last minute gift-getters there's still plenty of time to print and frame or use the prints on a Mother's Day card. :)

For Personal Use Only









*Edited to add:  I added another print in red and black without a number in the center.  It should work well to re-color. 

Click here for more Mother's Day subway art prints without the date in the center.

If you don't see the color you were hoping for click on the link to learn how to edit the prints.
How to Recolor Subway Art Images
 

To download:  You must first click on the image to open it in a new window in it's highest resolution.  Right click on the image and either copy and paste it into a document (to size and then print), or click on save image as to save it to your computer.  You will need to size it before you print either in a document of by using your printer menu.

To size the prints:  The prints will look the best printed as an 8x10, or 4"x5" (for cards), but can be stretched to other sizes if you insert them into a document using a program like Microsoft Word/Publisher or Photo Shop.  Insert the image, click on it, then, using the side rulers, drag the sides of the image to the size that you want.
You can print them on white or colored card stock, scrapbook paper, or (for the best quality) on photo paper.  (Check your dollar store for photo paper, I found a package of 8- 8x10 sheets for $1 at Dollar Tree.)


For cards, print onto 4x6 photo paper and glue to a card.  The print on the left was sized first to 4" x 5 1/2" and then trimmed down some.  When I printed the card on the right, I selected the image and sent it to print, but first un-clicked the box where it says fit to page so it would print to be 4" x 5".  (The design will look stretched if you select fit to page.)

Today's Fabulous Finds...Our Wonderful Mothers!

*Thanks to all of you who have left comments letting me know you appreciate my subway art.  I'll make subway art prints each month as long as I feel you're still interested in it.   For those of you who read this blog and just aren't into subway art, I promise, I have some non-subway art projects coming up, including my nastiest thrift find to date!  Okay it's not really horribly terrible, but pretty bad.  I can't believe I brought it home. :)
Enjoy your day! 




Linking Up Here:  Someday Crafts   Fingerprints on the Fridge   Finding Fabulous   The Shabby Nest   Home is Where My Heart Is   Chic on a Shoestring    Creation Corner    Tatortots and Jello   Funky Junk Interiors    The Creative Crate    Be Different Act Normal    Under The Table and Dreaming    I Love Naptime
Pin It!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Janet you are the best! Thank you!

Tamara L. Chilver said...

Thank you! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Struggling with the recolor. Trying to make one with the floral background into a purple.

Unknown said...

I figured it out! Thank you again!

Jamiecrafts said...

this is GREAT! my sister just asked me what I was going to get my mom and I had no idea until I saw this, I am going to put a picture of my mom's girls and granddaughters in the middle so she can hang it up :) thank you so much!

http://cutecardsandcraftsbyjamie.blogspot.com/

Glenna said...

Thanks so much. I've got it printed and I'm off to find frames so I can give them as gifts.

You might want to consider not putting the date on holidays that change each year. For instance this one could just say May in the middle so it can be used year after year. Just a thought. . .

Julie said...

Love these! I wish you also had ones that say "Grandmothers". Usually it's my kids that give my mom a gift and not just me... a grandmother one would be perfect!

Jennifer said...

These are great!! Thanks so much for sharing!! (=

CatNCart Craft said...

Thank you, love your subway art
Judy

Stuart and Kimber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stuart and Kimber said...

I also wanted to add: your subway art is some of the best out there!

thanks!

Janet said...

In reply to Julie: I was actually just telling my sister that I thought it would be fun to have a print for Grandmothers. Grandparents day is in September, so I may make one then. Thanks for your suggestion. :)

In reply to Glenna: I considered using a clip-art image for the center box but was having a hard time finding one that I liked (and wasn't copyrighted) in the short time that I had to put these together, so I decided to go back to my original design with the date in the center. Please feel free to edit the subway art and add an image if you'd like. One of these days I'll write up a tutorial on how to do it. :)

Thanks for your comments!

Joleen said...

I cropped the date out of the center, printed it, attached it to a card, then glued a silk flower to the center. It turned out Super Cute!!
Thanks!

Janet said...

In Reply to Joleen: I love the idea of a flower in the center, thanks so much for sharing your idea!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your subway art> One request, I tried for hours to do one in a dk red, and couldn't, so when you do them, could you please include the black/red combo you have done in the past. Its perfect for my kitchen. Thanks, Wilonestar

Janet said...

In reply Wilonestar: You know, I didn't even think to add the black/red combo. Probably because I was rushing to get them done and was choosing the colors at 3 am. :) I'll be sure to include it in future subway art designs.

One of the tricks I've learned when recoloring them is that it helps to start with a black print if you are changing to a dark color (Which I'm sure is what was giving you problems, especially since I forgot to add it!). Also, sometimes it helps to adjust the brightness and contrast of the image.

Even though it's past Mother's Day now, I went ahead and added a black and red print without a date in it. Thanks for your comment, I'm glad you asked. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your Mothers subway art. Thank you very much for sharing. I would love the print in all the colors with out the date. I'm not very computer savy to do that myself. Are you considering doing it in the other colors? Also can we expect a Fathers day subway art?

Janet said...

In reply to Anonymous: Yes, I'm planning to go back and change the Mother's Day prints so there is an image in the center of all of them. I may not be able to get to it right away, but it will be soon. :)

I'll be making one for the Dad's next and then one for the 4th of July. I better get started, Father's Day will be here before we know it!

Waseem said...

I think technique like plastic card printing can also be used for this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails