Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

3.24.2012

Thrifty Spring Mantel

What a beautiful day we're having today!  The windows are open, there's a nice breeze that's not too cold, and the sun is shining--it's wonderful!  It seems like the perfect time to show you how I decorated for Spring.  It's very similar to what I did last year, but with a few changes.  Every item that I used was either remade, made for cheap, something I had, or on sale.  I've linked to the tutorials for each of the items if you'd like to read more about them. 


Rustic stars aren't typically associated with Spring, but when I took them off, the shelf seemed plain so I decided to leave them.  I was also back and forth on whether or not I wanted to paint the ($6) bird cage white and distress it.  I'm leaving it for now, but it will most likely see some paint soon to brighten it up, although I think that it helps to balance the dark color of the candle and stars.  I'm so indecisive on this one. 






Framing a Shelf (Before and After)









My youngest is anxious to decorate for Easter, so I'll be tweaking our Spring mantel again this year and adding a few fun things for Easter this week, then after Easter it will revert back to Spring again for awhile. 



I really hope you're fortunate enough to be enjoying beautiful weather this weekend!  The sunshine and fresh air has moved me to get started on some Spring cleaning, so that's what I'll be working on this week while my kids are home for Spring break.  That and some much needed yard work.  I love it!

Have a nice weekend!



I'm linking up to these fun parties, check them out for some great ideas!
Pin It!

29 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is all so pretty and you are so clever with either embellishing items or redoing them. Gorgeous vignette. Hugs, Marty

Tracy said...

Love your mantel Janet -- its perfect decor for the entire season! Thanks for sharing and for your wonderful ideas….:)
--Tracy

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

It definitely looks springy. I love the little bird's nest tucked into your mantel and the moss letter. I'm all for thrifty decorating.

Susan said...

Your mantel is just charming and I especially love your star garland. I'm looking for a starfish-type garland (mostly for summer) that I plan to string with clear white lights. I like those all year round.

Peggy said...

Wow - it's really beautiful! So much inspiration!
Peggy

LifeLessOrdinary said...

Such a pretty mantel. I love your birdcage!

farmhouse-story said...

i really like the star garland, janet! your mantel is just lovely:) enjoy your spring break with the kids!

Willow said...

Love your mantle. Really beautiful!

Karen said...

It looks great Janet! I love the candle with the monogram and the birdcage looks so cute too! I think the stars look just great:) Have a great Sunday and I hope you are still enjoying nice weather! We had a sunny warm day yesterday! Yay!!

Liz Vickerman said...

very pretty and great balance with the dark and light :)

LYNDA QUINTERO-DAVIDS said...

Clever - Crafty - and Creative! Great job!

xo Lynda

Maria said...

What a BEAUTIFUL mantel!!!! Love the natural look, so pretty!

The Kim Six Fix said...

So pretty.. I love the birdcage. Gorgeous!

Cassidy said...

Your mantel is so elegant! Love the pop of red!

Stacy Risenmay said...

I ADORE your mantel!!! Love, love love it :) Great job!

Amy Fountain said...

This looks so amazing! I love the little bird touch!

Amy Fountain said...

This looks so amazing! I love the little bird touch!

Unknown said...

You have a lovely Spring mantel! I like everything about it. I would love to have you share it at my linky party running from midnight tonight to midnight Friday.

Anonymous said...

Your mantel is just perfect! I especially love the saying on the plate!

Ginny @ OrganizingHomelife.com said...

I absolutely LOVE your mantle! It looks so pretty. I love the stars and the dark color of the birdcage - just my opinion. :) I'm stopping by from Not Just a Housewife.

I'm hosting a brand new linky party on my blog, Organizing Homelife, that includes DIY home decor ideas and I would love for you to link up this post!

http://www.organizinghomelife.com/archives/2768

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

My favorites are the mini-mossy monogram and the way you perched that cute little bird in the next and dish! Looks great!

Shabby Beach Nest said...

I'm in awe of your mantle!! You are SO unbelievably talented. Thank you for sharing your beautiful home - it's inspired me and produced some great ideas!! ^_^

~Nicole @ www.shabbybeachnest.com

Kristin@gratefulbelly.com said...

LOVE this! I'm following:) I hope you'll share this at my link party, running now through Saturday night!

http://www.gratefulbelly.com/2012/03/whats-new-wednesday-two-and-give-away.html

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Love the greenery. Your mantel is beautiful.

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Your mantel certainly is welcoming Spring!
I love the framed shelf with RED lantern... very vibrant!

via CACc
Pat

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

Pretty mantel! I love that lantern, for a pop of color! it's sooo cute!
gail
ps thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can!
gail

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful mantel! It feels so fresh. I like the natural elements you used and the little bird sitting on the nest in the dish is just too cute!
Sharla

(visiting from tatertots&jello)

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet, LOVE your blog! I wonder how soon you plan to share how you made the frame with the chicken wire that you abandoned in the fall ( it fell apart you said) but fixed and used at V- day...would love to try to make something similar this spring...thanks for all your genius ideas! Diana

Janet said...

To Diana: I'm so sorry I haven't posted a tutorial for the wire frame yet. I'm afraid it became the victim of some serious procrastination! :) I'll write up the tutorial and post it next, glad you asked about it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails