Request for Access to Links

There was a recent update that has caused my Google Doc links to stop working. Please send me a request for access to the files until I can get them up and running again. I will grant you access through the email as soon as I am able to, thank you!

2.01.2012

Valentine Mantel with Natural Elements

Last week I had some fun putting together a new mantel for Valentine's Day.  I realized, through the process, that putting together a mantel is very similar to putting together a puzzle.  Every piece is important, every piece has it's place, and sometimes you have to move a piece around several times before you find the right fit! 


I felt up for a challenge so I decided to only use items that I already had in my home, this is what I was able to pull together...

Pin It



This little plant was $5 from IKEA.  I wrote on the original black plastic pot with chalk and ran some jute around the top.  It's sitting on a couple of books from by bookcase.


This is a .75 thrift store frame.  I spray painted it with red, sanded to distress, and then painted the cardboard backing with inexpensive chalkboard paint from Wal-mart.  The metal easel and the frog are both from a dollar store.

 

Pucker up!

I bought the frog last summer for no other reason than that I thought he was adorable.  He makes a perfect prince in waiting, ha, ha!


I started making the chicken wire frame last Fall and then gave up on it because it wasn't coming together how I wanted it to (It fell apart!).  Once I decided I wanted to use it for my mantel, I figured out a way to fix it.  I'll show you how I made it in a future post.  The metal accents were originally a bright gold color.  I painted them with red and oil rubbed bronze spray paint and distressed them.

  

The vintage Valentine prints are clipped to the chicken wire with clothespins that I stained with dark walnut water-based stain.  Black and white family photos would be fun to use too.


I talked about the rolled flower rosettes in my last post.  They're glued to a paper plate so I can use my wreath for other holidays/seasons. 


I clipped them to the wreath with the clothespins just to see how the flowers looked and decided that I liked them there, so they stayed.


The window is made from paint sticks and glass from a dollar store frame.  You can learn how to make it here.



This plant is also from IKEA.  The tin bucket is from a dollar store.  I wrapped jute around the vase and hot glued rustic tin hearts to each end. 


I bought the candle on clearance at JoAnn's for .79.  The candle stick was $2.50 from Good Will.  I spray painted it and distressed it.   It's held together in the back with tape.


 You can read about my paint stick crate here


The mason jars are painted inside.  I just rolled the paint around inside until it was completely covered, let the excess paint drip out and let them dry.  I can see them filled with tulips for spring, wouldn't that be pretty!


When I got the idea to actually carve 'I love you' into a log (for my sweetie), I didn't realize it would take me so long.  It was a labor of love for sure! 


I drew the pattern on with a pencil and then spent the next hour with a wood chisel and a small pocket knife carving away.  I'm planning to add our initials to it, but I need to forget how tiring it was first!   (It really wasn't that bad, I just thought it would be easier than it was.) 

Here's a tip:  If a piece of the bark flakes off where you didn't want it too, you can hot glue it back on. 



This is how the mantel looks without the Valentine's clipped to the wire.  I was back and forth on whether they made it look too busy or not.  In the end I decided to just keep them, they're fun.


Read all about how I made the mantel shelf here.

 


Well, that's it!  This was a big post, but there was a lot to show you.  Hope you saw something you liked! :)

Today's Fabulous Find...the fun in using what you have!


Pin It!

25 comments:

Toni K said...

This is awesome! So pretty!

farmhouse-story said...

so many cute ideas here! i love the carving, your roses, chalkboard and the chicken wire, janet!

Beansieleigh said...

Love the chicken wire frame!.. And love the frog! (0; The little chalkboard message framed in red is really cute too! ~tina

Jenn P said...

I have to thank you for inspiring me, first off! I looove your idea about challenging yourself. I need to remind myself more often : ) This display looks so great and I cannot wait to go shopping..in my house! I hope I score as many treasures!!! Can't wait to see the tulips in those jars...how clever : )

Janet said...

To Jenn P: Thanks Jenn! It's fun how one item in place can cause you to remember another item that's been stored away and is waiting for a makeover. Have fun with your 'shopping'! :)

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

LOVE your mantel! it's sooo pretty. Love the carving and the "kiss me" the best!
gail

Unknown said...

The BEST valentines mantel I have seen this year .. Love love love it
would love for you to link up at http://www.getouttamyheadplease.com/2012/01/show-it-off-9_29.html

Karen said...

Such a pretty mantle! My favorite is the cute valentines clothes pinned to the chicken wire. So cute:)

Custom metal said...

Wow you did a really good job on this! I love all the detail you put into it. Very nice.

JENNY K. said...

Visiting from TT&J. What a great mantle. I especially love the painted mason jars.

Jo-Anna@APrettyLife said...

I love ALL of it! Perfect for Valentines Day!
Jo-Anna

Unknown said...

So cute! Love it all! Thanks for the inspiration.

kristi@ishouldbemoppingthefloor said...

This is so pretty....I love everything about it!! All of the chalkboard items are just aDoRaBlE!!! Found you through TT&J!
{HUGS},
kristi

Darcie (My Modern Country) said...

Visiting from Funky Junk :)

I absolutely love this! Everything is so cute-your ideas are fantastic!

Audrey said...

Very nice ... love all the elements that fit together so nicely.
Blessings.
Audrey Z. at Timeless Treasures.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Oh my goodness! Janet, every detail is fabulous! I love the natural feel to it all. You are incredible! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Audrey said...

Love the name of your blog as that is what I like to do. Love this mantel arrangement ... so inspiring.
I will be a follower so I can came back and spent more time looking at your fun ideas.
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures.

Lissa (The Wedding Bistro at Bellenza) said...

So impressed at how you pulled together decorative items that you already had! Love how the chicken wire frame and window help tie all the diverse pieces together. A labor of love indeed!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I just featured this tonight on the blog! :)

Simone @ Doberman's by the Sea said...

this is darling-I have a tree stump in my living room and I'm going to give this a try. Cheers

Anne said...

FABULOUS!
Just found your lovely blog...and am your newest follower!
Best,
Anne
www.alittlefurinthepaint.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So happy to find you! I'm your newest follower-stop by for a visit!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

what a pretty mantel!! And I'm loving those white mason jars, the white is such a nice change!

I've shared this on FJI Facebook and pinned for SNS 123. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150684216391141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

ANNE said...

Love what you pulled together & all the little touches - that carved log is such a cute idea!!

Lesta Sims said...

Adorable! Love ALL of your ideas! Thanks for sharing

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails